The Olympic Stadium of Athens "Spyros Louis" is a sports stadium in Athens, Greece. It is a part of the Athens Olympic Sports Complex and is named after the first modern Olympic marathon gold medalist in 1896, Spyros Louis.
Located within the area of Marousi in Athens, the stadium was originally designed in 1980 and inbuilt 1980–1982. it had been completed in time to host the 1982 European Championships in Athletics. it had been inaugurated by the President of Greece at the time, Konstantinos Karamanlis, on 8 September 1982. It hosted several events of the 1991 Mediterranean Games and therefore the 1997 World Championships in Athletics, sought so as to prove that it had been capable of hosting major sporting events after the failure of Athens to win the 1996 Summer Olympics but successfully hosting the 2004 Summer Olympics.
It was extensively renovated in time for the 2004 Summer Olympics and therefore the 2004 Summer Paralympics, including a roof designed by Santiago Calatrava. The roof was added atop the sidelines and completed just in time for the opening of the Games.
The stadium was then officially re-opened on 30 July 2004. It hosted the athletics events and therefore the football finals at the Olympics and therefore the athletics at the Paralympics. It also hosted the opening ceremony on 13 August 2004, and therefore the closing ceremony on 29 August 2004 along the paralympics ceremonies on 17 and 28 September. The stadium’s attendance was reduced to 72,000 for the Olympics, the initial capacity was some 75,000, though only 69,618 seats were made publicly available for the track and field events and slightly more for the football final.
Latest Update - 27.08.2021